The Illustration of Configuration Commands and Their Effects

Home Forums Practical XenServer The Illustration of Configuration Commands and Their Effects

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Eric Pretorious
      Keymaster

With the publication of Part II of the Tutorial “Bonding Network Interfaces” I think that it may be time to revisit the way that we structure lengthy tutorials. e.g., After beginning this Tutorial we made a decision to split the Tutorial into two parts: Part I (Background) & Part II (Implementation). But each of these two parts is still too long and Part II, at least, is lacking any useful illustration of the effects of the configuration commands that have been performed and that’s a failure of our prime directive (i.e., to provide useful guidance to XenServer administrators through the illustration of inspection and configuration tasks using the command-line interface).

To rectify this, I propose to reformat the Tutorial. I’d divide the Tutorial into six parts, each addressing a smaller area of inspection/configuration…

1. Background – The details behind NIC bonding and networking in XenServer,
      2. Inspection – Steps taken to inspect the current state of networking on the Resource Pool in order to prepare for the bonding of each of the host’s interfaces.
      3. The Storage Interface – Configuration steps for bonding the Storage interface along with a review of the the effects of those configuration steps on the state of networking on host and/or the resource pool.
      4. The Guest Interface – Configuration steps for bonding the Guest interface along with a review of the the effects of those configuration steps on the state of networking on the host and/or the resource pool.
      5. The Management Interface – Configuration steps for bonding the Management interface along with a review of the the effects of those configuration steps on the state of networking on the host and/or the resource pool.
      6. Conclusion – A comparison and discussion of the original state of networking and how it compares to the changed state of networking on the host and/or the resource pool.

What’s your opinion – Would a deeper insight [than what’s already been given] into networking on XS be useful?

Eric Pretorious

Eric Pretorious
      Keymaster

In case it’s not clear: What I’m referring to, specifically, is the blurb of text after the illustration of a command issued on the CLI that begins “Notice that, in this example…” e.g., From the Tutorial “Resource Pool Creation and Basic Configuration“…

Notice that…

1. There are now multiple hosts described in the output of the ‘host-list’ xe command and
      2. The host is now a part of the resource pool that was defined in the previous steps.
      Eric Pretorious
      Keymaster

After much consideration, I decided that Version 1 of the tutorial “Bonding Network Interfaces” – Part I & Part II – wasn’t serving the purpose of PXS as well as it could. e.g., The subject of networking is an enormous one. So it follows naturally that the Tutorial will be lengthy. But, in order to keep Part II as brief as possible, discussion had been kept to a minimum and that’s where the shortcoming was occurring – Discussion of the commands that are used and the changes that are affected is a core concept of PXS.

To address this, Version 2 contains all of the content of Part I & Part II of Version 1 plus more but the content has been segregated into six different parts to keep the information manageable.

I hope that you’ll agree and that you’ll find Version 2 of the tutorial “Bonding Network Interfaces” useful and informative!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.